You will find key information regarding our admission arrangements, our history and ethos and links to key documentation.
Information on our courses, what our students can expect, what we expect in return.
Introduction from the Principal summarising the core principles of the school and our journey so far
The Level 1 First Award in Animal Care has been developed to provide an engaging introduction to the animal care sector for learners aged 14 years and above. It is designed to be taken as part of a broader curriculum, alongside GCSEs and other vocational subjects offered at Stone Soup
This BTEC First Award gives an introductory overview to some of the key principles of Animal care. Learners will study animal health, which is externally assessed via a written paper-based exam, as this knowledge and understanding is essential when caring for animals. Learners will also develop their safe animal handling skills, which is vital in order to effectively care for animals. Learners will then have the option to choose two areas to study from a limited range of optional specialist units:
● Unit 3: Animal Welfare
● Unit 4: Animal Housing and Accommodation
● Unit 5: Principles of Animal Behaviour.
Learners could progress onto further study in a related area, for example, the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Animal Management, or more broadly to other land-based subjects at Level 3.
The aims of the Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level2 First Award in Animal Care are to:
● inspire and enthuse learners to consider a career in the animal care sector
● give learners the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of, and develop skills in, the animal care sector
● support progression into specialised Level 2 and 3 qualifications in animal management, or progression into an Apprenticeship
● give learners the potential opportunity, in due course, to enter employment within a wide range of job roles.